May 24, 2006

Tea-Globe and Genmaicha

Genmaicha is a mix of green tea and dry-roasted rice. We had some in a Japanese restaurant on Mother's Day. At the time I didn't know the name but with a little Googling, it wasn't difficult to find. In eastern medecine it is said to be even better than green tea alone.

So now that I have my Tea-Globe it will be alot more plesant to try differnet recipies. I read somewhere that the best water for green tea is at 170-185°F, just as steam begins to leave the spout of the teapot. I used to infuse it way to long.. it should be only 2-3 minutes.. and the tea that is not in the first cup, poured through a filter into another teapot.

6 comments:

mikster said...

Hmmmm.....I've never been much of a tea drinker...I'm addicted to pepsi.

Marykaa said...

I'm only just discovering green tea.. mostly 'cause it's supposed to be good for our health.

Antonio said...

I love my tea. I usually drink the green or black though. I will have to try this stuff you mentioned. I went on a tour at the only tea plantation in America and they spoke about the best temperature and time for brewing. I usually just use tea bags though because I am so busy. The tea plantation is only 10 miles from my house. Have a great day and keep drinking....Tea that is. Oh I lost 4.5 lbs this past week. Sounds like my diet idea is working.

Marykaa said...

Real glad for you Greg! I haven't lost a pound but I'm on anti-inflammatories for a few more days and that doesn't help.

ususally I'm a coffee drinker.. have an espresso machine and love the Illy red coffee. but I'm careful to drink max 2-3 cups, and only decaf after 3pm unless it's a special occasion.

Good green tea I love though :)

Antonio said...

I drank coffee for 30 years but gave it up this year. I used to drink 3 to 6 cups a day. I do occasionally still have a cappachino. I went in to get one today on the way to work but the machine was down. What a letdown. I had my heart set on it. I will have one tomorrow when I start my trip to Florida. Have a great day. I am drinking some green tea right now. :)

Marykaa said...

I was up to 15 cups a day! (15 years ago..) Was real hard to stop. headaches and all.

Have a great trip and an excellent week-end :)

*sending good vibes*