November 17, 2006

Being competitive

Being competitive.. wanting to win.. is a very strong personality trait that people have, or don't have to variing degree. but also, people have very different views on what is competitivness. I think that someone who says he is at competition with himself, is just as competitive as the guy wanting to be the best in a bunch. Some people can be too competitive with themselves, just as they can be too competitive with others. Some people can be Not competitive enough with themselves nor with others.. (but that's another subject)

Being competitive means having a goal, and doing what it takes to reach it. Nothing wrong with that. Being too competitive means having a goal, and doing anything it takes to reach it. Being competitive means getting pleasure out of going to your limits. Being too competitive means ruining your well being by feeling worthless when you're not "the best". Being competitive means admireing those who are better than you. Being too competitive means hating those who are better than you.

I got into fencing competitions sort of by chance.. never had it in my mind.. I started fencing just for fun, at 15, to try a sport that my brother was doing in Military College. At the begining of my second year fencing, my fencing master asked me, in a casual way.. "Do you want to be Québec Class C fencing champion?" LOL I had never even thought of competing, and laughed and replied "Sure, why not Canadian Champion?" I thought he'd laugh.. but know.. in his ever calm way.. he said "OK, but maybe not this year, first things first" I tilted my head and realized he was serious. I said "OK".

At my first competition, the Quebec under 20s, I set my goal to make the finales.. and if I made the finals I'd have "fun" in the finals. That's what happened.. but then.. the wheels began to turn.. They tell you.. "if you do well in the next competition, you'll be chosen to go to Quebec City (2 hours) for that other competition. I was 17 years old.. no money to travel.. of course I wanted to go. So I worked hard.. trained hard.. this was early 1970s.. trainers didn't think much about overtraining.. (but that's another subject) so I got results,

I was known as a "tigresse" (willing to fight like a tiger) When I was on the piste, even if I was sick with the flu, or having an allergie reaction to some medication.. I'd fight it all out.

When I'd loose, I'd be mad, or cry, or get drunk.. depending on the reason I lost. (ok, only got drunk once because of a counter performance, but it was a memerable once..) and I go back to training even harder.

That was just the way things were.. everyone I knew was like that.. alot of them were MUCH worst than me.

During the competitions.. I was on a natural high most of the time.. very focused.. over the years, I gained experience.. saw alot of things around me that I didn't like.. but when at 26 I decided to stop competing in fencing.. I felt like a devorcee.. for years I had been someone.. "a fencer" like a lady of my generation would be a "Mrs. Someone".. and leaving the fencing competitions.. I was no-one anymore... had to find myself..

I think I did.. and the ME without the competitions.. is a much nicer me.

I don't miss it at all. and don't look for it. do everything I can to stay away from it.

but I recognize it in people when I see it. It doesn't have to be in a competition situgation. It can be in ordinary converstation.. in leisure activites, in homje remodeling.. those people stress me when they get too close.

No comments: